Local Welfare Assistance Finder

To use the tool, enter the name of your local council into the search box then click the link below to be taken to their local welfare assistance webpage.

Your local council may be able to help you get hold of items of furniture – as well as helping with other issues, such as debt advice, food and fuel poverty. They do this through what are known as their local welfare assistance schemes (LWASs), also known as local welfare provision (LWP) or crisis support.

Not all councils have these schemes, and some do not provide help with furniture and white goods. If they do help with furniture, most provide it for free, while others will only offer you a loan to get the items yourself. You can usually only apply a limited number of times within a given period.

Most local authorities with a scheme only help with the most essential items such as a cooker, fridge/freezer, and bed. Some will also provide a washing machine, sofa and wardrobe. Many schemes also provide other support beyond furniture, such as help with utility bills and food.

If your council doesn’t have a scheme, they will be offering some sort of support through their allocation of the Household Support Fund so we have now included links to every local authority scheme. Authorities are using this funding in different ways, a few are using it for furniture and appliances so do have a look at the link. Local authorities also provide other support such as advice on any additional benefits that you may be entitled to so it is worth getting in touch with them.

You can use the tool below to find out if your local council has a scheme. Simply enter the name of your local council into the search tool and click the link to go to their local welfare assistance webpage. You should also see the link to their Household Support Fund web page too. If you do not know the name of your local council then you can find out here.

Please note: If you local council does not appear, try entering your county council instead. If you have difficulty finding your council in our search tool, please email your postcode to  info@endfurniturepoverty.org and we will send you a link to your local scheme. 

If your council is listed but there is no link, this is because your local council does not provide furniture or white goods as part of their scheme, or because they do not have a scheme at all.

Getting local welfare assistance from your council

Step 1: Enter the name of your council in the search tool below.

Step 2: Click the link to be taken to your council’s local welfare assistance webpage.

Step 3: Carefully read the information they provide and ensure you understand their application process and eligibility criteria.

Step 4: Find out how to apply. Some councils require you to apply online, while others only accept telephone applications.

Step 5: Complete the application and provide the council with all requested information and documents.

Step 6: Wait for your application to be processed. If you would like to enquire about the status of your application then you can contact the council and request an update.

If you need more help applying for local welfare assistance then please get in touch.


Signup to our mailing list

Part of FRC
Translate »